Re: [LUG] rsync to usb disk

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 12:06 +0100, Robin Cornelius wrote:

> You could create a tarball of everything first. rsync should *do the
> right thing* with a binary delta of the tarball and you should still
> gain lots of transfer efficiency with the added benefit of your
> filenames/perms being kept well away from FAT32.

Thanks Robin

I wanted to take things steadily. I did have instructions to make a
tarball from some time ago when there was a discussion of rsync.

So, I tried (in tmp) tar -cvvf docs.tar ~/Documents/ and created the
file docs.tar successfully. (Does ~/ count as an absolute path? The tree
in the tar file goes up to and includes home.)

I also tried tar -cvvf home.tar home/ and this did not work, though it
went through a huge number of files (what a lot of .thumbnails!). What
is the correct script?

Once I can do this, I can zip the file. Then I can rsync it to the usb
disk.

So you are saying that rsync will put the files together properly so it
can recreate them, however many times I redo the tarball for my backup?

James
--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk