[LUG] rsync to usb disk

Hello again

I finally discovered how I managed to rsync to my usb disk which was
refusing even with sudo. I had first booted up with the usb disk
connected. This put user and group as root. I could not change the owner
using chown. Unmounting and remounting the disk put james as user so
rsync then worked without sudo.

It had a problem with the very small number of hidden files and could
not save any (invalid argument (22)).

What I cannot understand is why it listed most but not all files as it
worked through everything in /documents/. (All seem to be there in the
backup.) In some cases only a couple of files in a directory are listed
- in others it would seem all of them are. To my simple mind, either
only the files that are modified are listed or all are.

The other minor problem I had was trying to modify only a part of the
saved file - a directory which had two words in its name with a space in
between. If I need to do this in future, how do I deal with the space -
is it %20 or something?

Thanks

Next stop cron - this seems more challenging.
--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk