Re: [LUG] rsync to usb disk

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 22:16 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:

> You backing up to a non-native file system by any chance?
Yes FAT32.

> Microsoft file systems are notorious for not coping with sensible file
> names. What is really sad is that they still object to "con" "lpt1" etc
> if the software you use happens to work with the old API. All deeply
> messy in the name of backwards compatibility.
Thank you.

> Probably the file metadata is changed, different owner, different
> modification times, or some such.
Yes. I did mess about with ownership to get everything to "james" and
maybe there are some still "root".
>  I expect what rsync is doing is logical.
>
> > The other minor problem I had was trying to modify only a part of the
> > saved file - a directory which had two words in its name with a space in
> > between. If I need to do this in future, how do I deal with the space -
> > is it %20 or something?
>
> Sorry, not clear what you mean. If you mean how to refer to a file or
> directory with a space in its name just escape the space with your
> favourite method (single quote is highly recommended as a good escaping
> habit to get into).
>
> srw@derek:~$ mkdir fred\ astaire
> srw@derek:~$ mkdir 'fred astaire/ginger rogers'
> srw@derek:~$ ls "fred astaire"
> ginger rogers
Yes, that was it. Thanks. I'll try that if I need to in future. It has
no problem with such names within the tree only files at the top level
including the media mount point, which are referred to in the script.

> This is the same reason that is scripts variables for file names are
> always "$FILE", so if it has a space in it, then the name is properly
> escaped.
Thank you. This seems a basic step for me if I am to use the terminal
more.

James
--
james kilty