Re: [LUG] Icedove and mails older than 1 month

Grant Sewell wrote:
> Keith Abraham wrote:
>> Grant Sewell wrote:

>>> Have you got your messages sorted by date and grouped?  On my
>>> Thunderbird setup here it then has a group called "old mail".
>>>

>> Grant:
>> All mails are sorted by date - oldest to newest.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by grouped. There is no folder
>> called old mail on my system.
>>
>> Using message filters I organise incoming mails into named
>> folders eg my-ISP, my-Village. The inbox folder is kept
>> under control with another filter which deletes all mails
>> which have not been moved into folders and are older that
>> 30 days.
>>
>> Some of my folders contain mails which date back to the
>> beginning of the year yet when I open the folder the mails
>> aren't listed. All that is displayed are mails less than a
>> month old. I know they exist because I can enter
>> /.mozilla-thunderbird and view them with a text editor
>>
>> As I said in my earlier mail it's as if there was a
>> blanket setting limiting the display of all mails to
>> those under a month old.
>>
>> I've scoured the preferences to no avail. The solution
>> probably lies in the config editor but I don't know what
>> I'm looking for.
>>
>> Keith
> Hi Keith,
>
> By "group", I mean this - go to a folder and click on the "view" menu;
> in the "sort by" submenu, check to see if "grouped by sort group" is ticked.

Thanks Grant: I see what you mean but alas Old Mail doesn't show any mail
older than a month whatever folder I look at.

But an idea occurs to me that the solution might lie in the method that
Icedove
uses to define Old Mail. There might be a a variable dealing with Old
Mail that
I can change in the config editor. I doubt it though. I can understand
limiting the
display of mails to 1 month but displaying mails older than a month must be
common enough to warrant an easily accessible toggle.

Any way I'll have a look in config editor later today.

Keith