Re: [LUG] Data centre in Cornwall

Kai Hendry wrote:

> I think the "cooling problem" with data centres is overstated. I think
> there was some BBC programme recently that etched this into people's
> heads. I don't think water cooling is necessary. Though Praze Farm has a
> stream and two springs.

I don't think water cooling is necessary. People are looking at it as
server density, and power density increases.

But a rack full of server is not trivial to cool, and packing racks full
 keeps other costs down.

> Btw, did you know it is much more expensive to heat a home than to cool
> it?  I read that in WIRED magazine a couple of months ago.

Going to depend where the house is. I don't pay anything to cool my
house so it sounds plausible here, but most commercial data centres
don't open their windows for very good reasons.

Houses don't have power consumptions of 50 to 500W per square feet, at
least when you step away from the kettle the microwave and the boiler.
Now switch them on 24x7 and see what happens to the cooling costs.