Re: [LUG] new machine

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 10:11 +0100, alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Posted by "Alex Mclennan" <alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Hi all,HELP,my friend and i just built my new computer,2.66 quad core 4gb
> ram,160gig sata hd,with a caddy+dvd rw.
> The problem i got is i am trying to load ubuntu 8.04 on a hard drive in the caddy
> with the sata hd disconected,the machine knows there is a hd in caddy and the boot
> order is correct.
> I get this message:busybox v1.1.3(debian1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) built-in
> shell(ash)enter help for a list of built-in commands.
>
> (initramfs)_
>
> At this point my synaptic pathways fried in my brain,this is way over my head.
> happy days from alex the noob
> --
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Generated by the contributors page
> in the members area at D+C GLUG
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/members/list.php
> webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've had this problem when trying to install linux on a new PC. I tried
many different distros and most of them dropped out of the installation
process to a busybox shell.

Don't know why or what causes it, but you could try downloading the
"alternative" ubuntu install iso image and using that. It has no live
disk options so you go straight into the installation, ie it doesn't
load ubuntu and let you install from a desktop icon.

It is, as people have suggested, probably to do with the bios settings
and I'd really like to know what causes it. But it does seem to have
something to do with the distro being a live CD. The ubuntu alternative
install disk worked for me.

Simon