Re: [LUG] Auto-mount NAS Drive

Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Thanks for that :)
>
> It is Samba and smbfs is installed.
>
> I updated the fstab with
>
> //Oracle/ARAGORN      /disks/H        smbfs
> username=julian,password=[mypassword] 0       0
>
> Then I rebooted in Expert mode.  It didn't even notice the changes.  The system
> mounted /disks/C through /G and completely ignored H - no mention of it at all.
> Then I noticed a line about fstab being autogenerated so I uncommented the line to
> read autogeneration=off
>
> Still no joy, it's ignoring fstab alterations so I have a suspicion there is
> something else that has to be changed.
>
> Xandros *is* Debian based btw.
>
> I then tried installing webmin to see if I could set it up that way - refusing to
> log in, tells me connection refused after the certificate is accepted[1].  At no
> point do I get to enter a UID or PWD so that's a dead option.
>
> Then I tried through Samba.  I've always used SWAT previously, but now THAT
> refuses to install claiming broken packages.
>
> *head scratch*
>
> Not sure where to go from here.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian
>
> [1] that's using https://CHARON:10000... using http it just tells me to use https
I've noticed now that the mount point /disks/H is owned by root so
that's why it won't mount under my normal user - so I tried to chown it
to my normal user julian, the same as all the others.  Permission
denied.  Won't let me change anything and it's annoying me now.  I hate
to say it but this worked seamlessly in Windows and Linux is doing its'
damnedest to be difficult about changing the permissions even logged in
as root.

Any ideas please?

Kind regards,

Julian