Re: [LUG] PAT testing

Paul Sutton wrote:

> Just wondered if anyone on the list either
> a) knows how to perform PAT testing on equipment

Yes, me, but I don't have the time to help, unfortunately.

It is possible to self certify using something like
http://www.pat-testing-course.com/ (There are a few) - but an attended
course would probably give you a better understanding if you felt you
needed it.

The equipment for testing is likely to be your biggest expensive,
starting at around £200 - we use these;
http://www.seaward.co.uk/products/PrimeTest_50_PAT_Tester.asp
Which do the majority of testing - all household electrical goods, have
proved to be safe with PC's so far and so on, but are not adjustable so
you cannot test more complicated industrial equipment or items with long
leads like extension cords. The benefit of this type of tester is that
it's very simple and quick to use.

> This is for the project myself, tom Brough and Rob beard are involved
> with so ideally it will be in Torbay or surrounding area,

If you are reasonably proficient with electrics then it shouldn't be too
difficult to pass. The course I did (one of the dvd ones) was basic and
quite easy; but I've since had some further training. PAT is a fairly
basic test and actually a good thing to do as probably 80% of failures
are from a visual inspection, and do a few and you'll come across
dangerously wired plugs, worn cables and so forth that unless you were
forced to test wouldn't get noticed.

PATting also gets your hands and clothes filthy. :(

--
Simon Avery