Re: [LUG] Auto-mount NAS Drive

Rob Beard wrote:
> Sounds to me like it's shared with Samba?
>
> You should be able to modify your fstab and add the samba share, going
> on memory it would be something like...
>
> //server/share        /disks/H        smbfs
> username=deviceusername,password=devicepassword       0       0
>
> Can't remember if auto needs to be added.  You will need to install the
> smbfs package (assuming you're running Debian/Ubuntu), not sure what
> it's called in Fedora.
>
> Hopefully this should give you something to go on anyway.
>
> There's probably more elegant ways of doing it, but this is how I did it
> on my kid's PC to mount shares on my server (from memory).
>
> Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that :)

It is Samba and smbfs is installed.

I updated the fstab with

//Oracle/ARAGORN        /disks/H        smbfs
username=julian,password=[mypassword]   0       0

Then I rebooted in Expert mode.  It didn't even notice the changes.  The system
mounted /disks/C through /G and completely ignored H - no mention of it at all.
Then I noticed a line about fstab being autogenerated so I uncommented the line to
read autogeneration=off

Still no joy, it's ignoring fstab alterations so I have a suspicion there is
something else that has to be changed.

Xandros *is* Debian based btw.

I then tried installing webmin to see if I could set it up that way - refusing to
log in, tells me connection refused after the certificate is accepted[1].  At no
point do I get to enter a UID or PWD so that's a dead option.

Then I tried through Samba.  I've always used SWAT previously, but now THAT refuses
to install claiming broken packages.

*head scratch*

Not sure where to go from here.

Kind regards,