Re: [LUG] Beowulfed LTSP?

Since I thought about this I've come to realise that I will potentially
have the ability to play about with this in the near future.  We have
just taken delivery of 200 or so "out of commission" Dell GX270s (I
believe)... all in relatively good working order.  There has been
discussion in the staff room of setting a bunch of them up in a cluster
for the benefit of those doing "animation courses".  I may well be
running a BTEC National Diploma module next year on network management,
so LTSP could fit nicely in there.

I appreciate that the original idea of LTSP was that the clients were
low-specced machines, and I can fully see where you're going on the law
of diminishing returns thing... but with "average" machines, set up as
medium clients (personally I think they should be "thin clients",
"podgy clients" and "fat clients"... which would leave a standard
"Windows XP + Server2003" setup with a name like "obese clients", but
that's just me :D), they could contribute a portion to the processing
power of the LTSP server, should it be set up in a cluster, could they
not?

Grant.