Re: [LUG] Best mobile broadband coverage for train route to London?

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Dave Berkeley wrote:
> Does anyone have any recommendations / warnings on a suitable Linux friendly
> mobile broadband service that gives good coverage on this route?

I don't have any recommendations on the Linux friendliness side I'm
afraid, but I regularly travel that route (or at least the bit between
Exeter and Reading) and have found that both my blackberry (which uses
O2) and my laptop's mobile datacard (which uses Vodafone) more often
than not fail to find any network on that route. You might be luckier
with a different provider and/or a better datacard, but given that
it's a very rural bit of England, I think that having a conversation
will be hard enough already.

I think your best bet would be to hope that FGW will start providing
wi-fi on their trains. Some other train companies already do.

Martijn.