[LUG] Best mobile broadband coverage for train route to London?

Looks like I might have to make the journey from Plymouth to London (via
Westbury) on a regular basis. I'll need some connectivity on the journey.

I know there was some discussion about the Huawei E220 USB Modem a while ago.
Does anyone have any recommendations / warnings on a suitable Linux friendly
mobile broadband service that gives good coverage on this route?

Low running costs, and short contract are a priority too.

I'll be using it with a ThinkPad running Ubuntu. So I suppose I could use a
cardbus card instead of USB.

Cheers

Dave Berkeley