[LUG] Free software Mag articles

I have pasted the top 10 Articles from the FSM
Sorry if you all get this already but many of the Articles are already
being discussed in the List currently
Just say if it' s too Much!

Top ten Free Software Daily stories this week

1. **VIA's Open Source Notebook** --If you've been scanning the news today, you
might be under the impression that VIA Technologies had released an open-source
notebook design. The OpenNote mini-note reference design has gotten a a sudden burst
of press attention, but most of the stories don't seem to understand what's really
open about this design. [Read
more...](http://www.fsdaily.com/Industry/VIAs_Open_Source_Notebook)

2. **gNewSense distro frees Ubuntu** --Free software lovers can rejoice at this
month's release of gNewSense 2.0 (pronounced "guh-new-sense"), the latest version of
the popular distribution based on Ubuntu Hardy Heron. Code-named DeltaH, this
operating system includes only software where users have the right to run, study,
adapt, redistribute, and improve all of the software and code. [Read
more...](http://www.fsdaily.com/EndUser/gNewSense_distro_frees_Ubuntu-1)

3. **Dear Google: Is AGPL Evil?** --Google snubs a very good software licence and
makes a Web-based software feature Windows-only. [Read
more...](http://www.fsdaily.com/Legal/Dear_Google_Is_AGPL_Evil)

4. **"Big Buck Bunny" movie files released** --The shortfilm “Big Buck Bunny”, made
with the Free Software program Blender is available for download. It is released
under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license. Note that the files are in a
rather high resolution. Please use BitTorrent for download. There is also a game
planned... [Read
more...](http://www.fsdaily.com/Community/Big_Buck_Bunny_movie_files_released)

5. **Saving Students from The Latest Microsoft Lock-in (Live @ edu)** --Two days ago
Microsoft issued a press release heralding its plans to take over universities with
its Windows-oriented, Live-branded offerings, which typically lock down students and
bind them to Microsoft while they still are young. For background about this, see
this older post. [Read
more...](http://www.fsdaily.com/Opposition/Saving_Students_from_The_Latest_Microsoft_Lock_in_Live_edu)

6. **Novell and Mono: The Kiss of Death to Free Software** --Another very
interesting interpretation which shows why Novell and Mono are enemies to Free
software. [Read
more...](http://www.fsdaily.com/Opposition/Novell_and_Mono_The_Kiss_of_Death_to_Free_Software)

7. **Brazil Protests OOXML Too! Asks Approval Be Reconsidered** --South Africa was
the first, but not the last. Now Brazil has sent a letter protesting the adoption of
OOXML as an ISO standard also, and Andy Updegrove says he has heard there will be
more... [Read
more...](http://www.fsdaily.com/Legal/Brazil_Protests_OOXML_Too_Asks_Approval_Be_Reconsidered)

8. **KDE Project Ships First Beta of KDE 4.1** --The KDE Project is proud to
announce the first beta release of KDE 4.1. Beta 1 is aimed at testers, community
members and enthusiasts in order to identify bugs and regressions, so that 4.1 can
fully replace KDE 3 for end users. KDE 4.1 beta 1 is available as binary packages
for a wide range of platforms, and as source packages. KDE 4.1 is due for final
release in July 2008. Highlights: Plasma grows up, Kontact returns, applications
grow, refinement throughout the frameworks. [Read
more...](http://www.fsdaily.com/EndUser/KDE_Project_Ships_First_Beta_of_KDE_4_1)

9. **India Appeals Against OOXML, Joining Brazil, South Africa, Maybe More** --3
nations (at least) are already confirmed to have appealed against ISO's decision.
[Read
more...](http://www.fsdaily.com/Opposition/India_Appeals_Against_OOXML_Joining_Brazil_South_Africa_Maybe_More)

10. **Free software vs. software-as-a-service: Is the GPL too weak for the Web?**
--"Preserving software freedom in the era of Web applications -- You’ve read the
GPL’s preamble, you can name the Four Freedoms, and you do your best to keep
proprietary bits off our computers. But what’s the future of free software in the
era of Flickr, Google Apps, and Facebook? ..." [Read
more...](http://www.fsdaily.com/Legal/Free_software_vs_software_as_a_service_Is_the_GPL_too_weak_for_the_Web)

Latest content
--------------

**Group interview: a graphic view of the open hardware movement. Part 2: technical
and social issues** --By Terry Hancock. Open Hardware project management through the
lens of the Open Graphics community. [Read
more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/group_interview_graphic_view_open_hardware_movement_part_2_technical_and_social_issues)

**Workrave : combating RSI the free software way** --By Ryan Cartwright. Thanks to
FSDaily, I recently came across an excellent post regarding useful exercises for
geeks. What surprised me about it was that Workrave was not mentioned at all. Here I
take a brief look at this great piece of free software designed with one purpose:
combating repetitive strain injury (RSI). [Read
more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/workrave_combating_rsi_free_software_way)

**Free software vs. software-as-a-service: Is the GPL too weak for the Web?** --By
Gavin Baker. Preserving software freedom in the era of Web applications. [Read
more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/free_software_vs_software_service)

**Reporting bugs the Debian way** --By Ryan Cartwright. Following on from my
recommendation for [apt-buglist][]—where you can see the reported bugs on a package
before installing it—I thought it might be useful to look at the other side of the
coin, reporting bugs in Debian. The best way to do this is with the dedicated tool:
reportbug. [Read
more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/reporting_bugs_debian_way)

**Destroy annoying bugs part 4: the end is near** --By Alan Berg. In this the last
part of this four-part series I will zoom carefully into the ease of use of PMD. I
totally enjoy PMD. The reason for this is the relative simplicity of writing your
own bug pattern-capturing rules and using them under fire. More on that later. To
round off we have included an in-depth interview with Tom Copeland, the author of
PMD Applied and the newer JavaCC . It is no coincidence that Tom is at the center of
the PMD development thrust. [Read
more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/destroy_annoying_bugs_part_4)

Latest content continued
--------------

**ODF in MS Office? No, really!** --By Mitch Meyran. Microsoft declared yesterday
(May 21st, 2008) that Microsoft Office 2007 SP2 would include (among others such as
PDF 1.5, PDF/A and some more) built-in support for OASIS OpenDocument Format version
1.1 (finalized, submitted to ISO, supported by OpenOffice.org, Kofffice, GNOME
office apps and their forks) while ISO-submitted OOXML support would wait for Office
14. [Read
more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/odf_ms_office_no_really)

**Asus EeePC, Part Four: A miscellany of Tips and Tricks** --By Gary Richmond. Since
the first three parts of this series came out, (One, Two and Three) the beginning of
May has seen the launch of the new EeePC 900 series; it’s slightly larger and
heavier, with a nine-inch screen and higher resolution. [Read
more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/asus_eeepc_part_four_miscellany_tips_and_tricks)

**Issue 22 Released!** --In this issue of Free Software Magazine Terry Hancock
interviews the amazing engineers involved in the OpenHardware project. Gavin Baker
casts doubts on the effectiveness of the GPL In today's web-oriented world where
applications are less and less "desktop". Scott Nesbitt's article on Prism, which
helps people to bring web applications to the desktop couldn't be more timely.
Steven Goodwin then tries to awaken the hacker in all of us with his fantastic piece
on home automation, and Mitch Meyran talks about creating web pages the "right" way.
[Read more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/issues/issue_022)

**Destroy annoying bugs part 3: FindBugs for large scale analysis** --By Alan Berg.
In the previous posts, I have written about personal use of static code reviews via
a GUI, in this case Eclipse. However, for large projects with hundreds of thousands
of lines of code or more, with the code base being scattered amongst project teams,
we have a problem. The economics of Quality Assurance demand a more mass analyzed
and factory-efficient approach. Do things quick, hit the code, find the worst bugs
and repair. The white box looking out, in combination with the functional or load
testing black box methodologies looking in. [Read
more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/destroy_annoying_bugs_part_3)

**Destroy annoying bugs part 2: Plug me into Eclipse.** --By Alan Berg. Static code
reviews aimed at eating bugs (!) are unbiased and neutral. If you spill coffee on
their laps or are applying for the same job as them, the advice given back will
remain the same. Static code reviews work via rules; some rules are accurate in
their assessment and others are not so relevant—or even false. Before building a
thorough infrastructure for large-scale deployment, it is well worth installing the
tool’s respective plugins. You can have a lot of fun kicking the tires of the rule
sets for your own particular environment. Getting your fingers into the reality of
the code is the first step in the path to Quality Assurance enlightenment. Note to
self, remember to ask boss for pay rise. [Read
more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/destroy_annoying_bugs_part_2)

**Updating Debian keys for the uninterested** --By Ciaran O'Riordan. Despite having
an aversion to configuring and maintaining security and crypto software, I accepted
that I had to update my system in response to the recent big Debian security
problem. If I can do it, you can do it. Below are my notes, but keep in mind that my
security rank is somewhere between ignorant and uninterested. [Read
more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/updating_debian_keys_uninterested)

Latest book reviews

**Linux Thin Client Networks Design and Deployment by _David Richards_** --Reviewed
by Robert Pogson. A Quick Guide for System Administrators. [Read
more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/book_review_linux_thin_client_networks_design_and_deployment_by_david_richards_2)

**Professional Plone Development by _Martin Aspeli_** --Reviewed by Alan Berg. An
open source Content Management System. [Read
more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/book_review_professional_plone_development)

--
Regards: Kevin Lucas Post Master (Sub) Minions Shop & Tea Rooms Minions
Liskeard Cornwall PL14 5LE www.minionsbandb.co.uk