Re: [LUG] Free software Mag articles

Kevin Lucas wrote:
<snip>

> 1. **VIA's Open Source Notebook** --If you've been scanning the news today, you
> might be under the impression that VIA Technologies had released an open-source
> notebook design. The OpenNote mini-note reference design has gotten a a sudden
> burst of press attention, but most of the stories don't seem to understand what's
> really open about this design. [Read
> more...](http://www.fsdaily.com/Industry/VIAs_Open_Source_Notebook)

I read about this the other day, well, I read an Inquirer article, I
didn't realise that it didn't include the whole shebang and it's just
CAD files for a plastic case.  That's a bit poor, but saying that,
aren't VIA just as bad at releasing open source code for their hardware too?

> 4. **"Big Buck Bunny" movie files released** --The shortfilm “Big Buck Bunny”,
> made with the Free Software program Blender is available for download. It is
> released under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license. Note that the files
> are in a rather high resolution. Please use BitTorrent for download. There is also
> a game planned... [Read
> more...](http://www.fsdaily.com/Community/Big_Buck_Bunny_movie_files_released)

Now this one interests me.  Maybe this is something that we could put on
at public demo days.  I'm certainly going to be downloading the 720p
version of this.

> **ODF in MS Office? No, really!** --By Mitch Meyran. Microsoft declared yesterday
> (May 21st, 2008) that Microsoft Office 2007 SP2 would include (among others such
> as PDF 1.5, PDF/A and some more) built-in support for OASIS OpenDocument Format
> version 1.1 (finalized, submitted to ISO, supported by OpenOffice.org, Kofffice,
> GNOME office apps and their forks) while ISO-submitted OOXML support would wait
> for Office 14. [Read
> more...](http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/odf_ms_office_no_really)

Is it April fools day again already?

Rob