Re: [LUG] 3 USB Modem

Simon Avery wrote:
> Neil Stone wrote:
>> Anyone happen to know if the 3 USB 3G modem works reliably under Ubuntu ?
>
> Further to the Huwai E220 - what sort of speeds are you getting, and is
> 3g actually achievable in most areas of Devon?

It all depends on where you are.  Like a normal mobile, you have good
areas of reception and bad areas.  This postcode checker should help you
work out what areas you're most likely to get good speeds...

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/coverage_/coverageChecker.do

I found that in areas such as Exeter City Centre I get fairly good
speeds (I even got pretty good speeds at Westpoint for the Devon County
Show!), although where I live in Torquay (Chelston) it's a bit hit and miss.

> It seems to connect for me at about 56kbit and throughput seems about
> that too. On Vodaphone, and coverage here in the country is "ok" - but
> I'm guessing it's either fast-as-ferrets-3g in-towns or slow-as-treacle
> gprs outside?

Although it might not help, if you have Windows installed as well as
Linux, you can get the signal strength and details of if you're
connected on GPRS, 3G or HDSPA from the windows dialler application.  It
would be handy if there was a Linux app which did the same.  (Saying
that, I think it's possible to work out out from the colour of the LED
on the modem and if it's flashing or not - details are in the brief
manual I think).

Rob