Re: [LUG] server processes

I found some info at http://zattoo.com/en/download/linux?download=1

I would expect that there is probably either an executable script or a sym link in /etc/rc.d/rc.<whatever runlevel yourein>

eg If youre in multi user X , perhaps you could check in /etc/rc.d/rc.5/

I thought that Ubuntu had a services app to control what gets started in what run levels if you don't want to delve into the dark & murky depths of /etc *grin*

Steph

On 5/19/08, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 08:52 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Sun, 18 May 2008 11:03:01 +0100
> Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Thanks for all that info. Mysql was a bad example. I should have
> suggested something like zattoo

There's no such package in Debian, I have no idea how that package is
controlled. As it isn't part of Debian, there is no guarantee that it
will behave as a Debian package should behave - it could have all manner
of weird control systems.

It doesn't want to download from the website either so I can't help.

For a compliant Debian package, in GNOME, you either control background
programs via System->Preferences->Sessions or as root via /etc/init.d/
and invoke-rc.d. Anything else is just not Debian. (Well, maybe 'at' or
'cron' are used too.)

> which I would not want to run very
> often. Rather than have it running in the background all the time I
> would start it up manually whenever I wanted to use it. Is that a
> better example please?

Probably not - you'd have to find out how that package is meant to be
controlled, via /etc/init.d/ or something else.

--
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>