[LUG] Log in files

One thing I have never worked out in Linux. When I log in there are
various programs that start automatically. If I do ps -e I can see a
list of what is running.

Is there some way of removing a program from this list so that it
does not start at log in? I am thinking of something like mysql which
I use sometimes but not every time I log in. I do not necessarily
want such programs to be running all the time in the background in
case I want to use them.

Thanks

Neil Winchurst