Re: [LUG] Mobile Phones and Email

Syncing mobile devices is a long standing issue that just doesn't seem
to be getting resolved. Gammu/wammu is amazing in the amount of phones
it can communicate with, but I've always had problems with the GUI which
makes it unusable, and the command line interface is complicated at best
(though I'm not surprised, since none of the phones share any real
standard sync methods).

I've not done much with syncing a phone to my desktop, but I know there's a couple projects to watch out for:

http://www.conduit-project.org/
and by extension
http://www.opensync.org/

I get the impression that these are still a bit experimental, but might be worth having a look at.

Personally, I don't sync direct to my desktop. I go the SyncML route. This is a standard that pretty much any phone made in the last 5 years follow for remote synchronisation and there's plugins available for most pim clients on Linux. Basically, rather than syncing your phone to your desktop, you sync to a central server somewhere on the internet and sync your desktop machine to that same server. You'll need a SyncML server. You can set up your own (http://www.funambol.com/), or if you don't have infinite amounts of time, you can use one of the many that are online. I use Mobical (https://www.mobical.net), but many others recommend Schedule World (http://www.scheduleworld.com/).

Hmmm... as I was looking up all the addresses for those links, I noticed Schedule World has a Firefox plugin that lets you sync over bluetooth. That sounds prettty neat, because you can sync at your desktop for free, rather than paying for the GPRS connection to transfer the data. interesting...