Re: [LUG] Making a Triple/Multi Boot machine...

Anton Channing wrote:
> Had a 60GB windows d: partition on my hard drive.
> Thought I might make better use of it with a
> third OS.  Tried to install Debian testing a month
> or two ago, but it failed part way through the
> installation.  Also, it did something weird with
> the GRUB menu I couldn't work out how to fix it.
> Basically when I select windows now, it goes to
> a LILO menu with windows and the debian installer
> as options.
>
> Am now thinking of trying out Sidux in the spare
> space.  Or maybe even halving the spare space and
> trying Sidux and something else.  But I want to
> have everything in one GRUB menu.  I'm stretching
> my knowledge and skills a bit on this one...
>
> ...anything I need to know before I start?

Install new OS- tell it not to install a bootloader. Your old bootloader
will remain and you can then add the new OS to it. Alternatively, if
you've currently got LILO and you want to upgrade to GRUB (which is
definitely better- especially if you've got multiple Linux installs),
let the new OS install GRUB and then add entries for the existing OSes.
It's not that hard to do, so long as you keep track of which OS is in
which partition and who owns the bootloader.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.
Simon