Re: [LUG] Ubuntu install under windows....

On Thu, 01 May 2008 18:29:23 +0100
Rob Beard wrote:

> Tom Potts wrote:
> > Has anyone tried this?
> > I have a machine that wont boot from the CD and I've been unable to
> > make a floppy to boot from.
> > Can I do this from the normall install CD or do I need the
> > alternate? Tom te tom te tom
> >

> I tried it with Ubuntu 7.10, but not with the latest version (it's on
> my Todo list).
>
> It works rather well, it creates a file on the Windows partition
> which acts as the Ubuntu file system (so it installs and can be
> uninstalled like a Windows app!).
>
>  From what I understand, once you have it installed you can then
> repartition the hard drive and install it on the drive itself.

I used WUBI to install Ubuntu onto my laptop.  DVD drive was/is
knackered, doesn't boot from USB and couldn't be bothered to sort out a
network install.

It installed as per normal, creating partitions, etc.  There might be
an option to install within a file, but I can say that the wubi that I
used on a 7.10 CD did the job right first time.

Grant.