Re: [LUG] GTK2 programming

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 15:02 +0100, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> >  Any good book recommendations on gdk2 ?

Gtk+ or GDK ?

TBH I use only:
dwww or devhelp (plugins available for some IDEs),
the relevant -doc packages and
source from something similar.

I did have the advantage that Glade had a "generate source" method in
the old version but that has since been removed (generating code is seen
as not a good thing in general).

> Yea this still is a question though!, .looking at gtk so far its
> actually quite nice and many thinks are logical, but a book would not
> hurt.

Feel free to look at the source of simple Gtk apps like gpe-expenses,
deb-gview or a calculator or similar.

> On a side note, anybody tried any touch screen LCD's, looking for
> something that's slightly industrial. My application is *screaming*
> for a touch screen. (and linux compatibility is a *must*)

tslib and xorg-xserver-tslib - v.v.v.v. new and although now in Lenny, I
haven't had time to really play with them yet. My advice would be to
stick to Gtk+ signals and callbacks and let the rest of the system take
care of whether the "click" is coming from a mouse or is actually a
"tap" on a touchscreen somewhere. Your application shouldn't need to
care because it should deploy the same code for mouse and for
touchscreen support. That is how GPE does it and it does work.

As for hardware, I've only got existing hardware (iPAQ) or a bespoke
touchscreen added to my balloon3 development board. I'm not that good on
hardware - if you ask on debian-embedded then I'm sure someone will be
able to point you in the direction of a supplier. The main criterion is:
Are you expecting taps to come from a delicate stylus or a chunky
finger?

--

Neil Williams