Re: [LUG] CCC Computer refurbishment

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 21:47 +0000, Henry Bremridge wrote:

> The council should at the very least be prepared to state
> - What discount rate was used to derive the present value of future MS payments
> - What future payments are expected
> - The expected cost of a onetime conversion (on MS windows) to OpenOffice
Did I send you this? I got it from the County Treasurer. Perhaps you
would comment.

"The council has a standard of using market leading products which are
seen to provide value for money and are sustainable.

No one can argue with the market position of Microsoft, and when looking
at the core set of tools our staff need access to in order to perform
their core role, it makes good business sense in relation to
compatibility, integration, supportability, and affordability to be
standardising on Microsoft. Of the 7 council organisations in Cornwall,
6 are using the Microsoft product set. Penwith are the only exception to
this, and they have had considerable issues in responding to change and
communicating with other local and national organisations, such that
they were planning to move to a Microsoft platform.

Whilst the up front costs of a Microsoft Desktop compared to it's
Freeware Linux counterpart may appear to favour the Linux route, the
total cost of ownership would show a different picture. The additional
work required on the Linux platform to create an integrated set of
tools, which is out of the box functionality for Mirosoft would very
quickly overtake any initial purchase savings, as has been experienced
by Penwith. This is outside of the argument for the business to be able
to quickly respond to changing needs.

The council does not rely entirely on the use of Microsoft products, and
have Unix and Linux systems deployed to run some of the most critical
database systems used in the authority. The council uses the right tool
for the right job - the Microsoft platform on the desktop where
interoperability and flexibility is required, and Linux to run the
council's largest databases where security and performance is critical.

As a footnote, early tests for the latest release of the Office product
shows that when using the compatibility download, there is forward and
backward compatibility for files created in either Office 2002, 2003, or
2007. The council has seamlessly and automatically deployed this
compatibility pack to all of its computers."

I propose to write back next week.
--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk