Re: [LUG] Pondering upon Debian

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 01:29:51PM +0000, Tom Potts wrote:
> If they were truly interested in security then NO non deb packages would be
> allowed. And while I havent actually used iceweasel it must be really
> irritating to have a browser that disables itself everytime a vulnerability
> is found.

Rubbish. Debian can't be responsible for every program run by every user.
They can, however, be responsible for packages they distribute. They had a
choice: distribute insecure software with the stable release, or continue
patching security holes as they do with thousands of other packages. The
first would mean that they could still use the Firefox name and logo, the
second would mean they can't. I'm sorry, but in no way is the Firefox name
and logo a worthwhile reason to distribute software with known security
flaws, with available patches.

My understanding is that generally the patches were security fixes taken
from newer releases and applied to the older ones, in keeping with
Debian's policy of fixing only security holes in a stable release, not
adding new functionality.

> While a security problem in a web browser on M$ can be a showstopper, on a
> linux box they should not be anything other than an annoyance or do you
> regularly 'sudo iceweasel'?

Rubbish. Just because GNU/Linux is generally more secure than Windows is
no reason to go asking for trouble. If there are security holes, they
should be fixed. Anything less is irresponsible.

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0