Re: [LUG] Pondering upon Debian

On Thursday 20 March 2008 11:27, Robin Cornelius wrote:
..
>>  Thats not Mozillas fault - Debian chose to branch.
>
> No i disagree here, debian did not choose to branch, debian gives a
> certain expected level of security and performance to its users, this
> security and ability to act in a timely manor is taken away if you use
> the firefox branding.
>
> Even if all other fixes/patches are removed, not being able to apply
> security fixes is a *showstopper* and i would rather have it rebadged
> than not have security updates and patches.
Yes but I can still run Firefox on my Debian system should I choose to.
If they were truly interested in security then NO non deb packages would be
allowed. And while I havent actually used iceweasel it must be really
irritating to have a browser that disables itself everytime a vulnerability
is found.
While a security problem in a web browser on M$ can be a showstopper, on a
linux box they should not be anything other than an annoyance or do you
regularly 'sudo iceweasel'?
But they forked - theres no other way of putting it.  M$ speak from the FLOSS
community is worrying.

> Now if mozilla were "switched on" about this in the first place they
> could have created a (2nd) brand that could have been used and
> identified as a "modified firefox" but with out trademark restrictions
> then it would be clear which version you were using and keep brand
> forking to a minimum that was common.
I run 3 different versions of Firefox - which one do you want rebranding?
Tom te tom te tom