Re: [LUG] Pondering upon Debian

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 11:00 +0000, David Bell wrote:
> What interests me is why a majority of users seem to turn to the Debian
> derivatives in preference to Etch/Lenny?  I rule out ease of installation, as
> the Debian installer is easy enough nowadays for a tyro to use.

Looks like that perception is still evident, despite changes within
Debian. Maybe Lenny will change that. (September 08). Debian
configuration is not that different to Ubuntu configuration - just
without the assistance to use restricteed drivers.

wifi is always the area where proprietary/restricted drivers from Ubuntu
allow things to "just work" but older hardware will be able to use
stable and predictable wifi using only software from Debian main in the
Lenny release thanks to improvements in drivers like b43 (for Broadcom
hardware).

3D is also mooted as a barrier but I still don't consider 3D as an
essential for normal users. It's eye candy and nothing more to most.

Even wifi is not the "deal-breaker" that some people claim:
1. At home, a Cat5 cable is not a huge problem
2. Away from home, wifi is expensive, unreliable, unpredictable - it's
even unreliable in conferences run by computer geeks like Fosdem.

I refuse to use ndiswrapper so I still don't have wifi on this HP laptop
[0] but everything else is now sorted, even serial over USB to control
bootloaders on embedded devices.

I'm going to only use Lenny on the old Mac laptop (with working wifi).

Finally, frequent releases (ala Ubuntu) are not a panacea either - there
are significant penalties in *forcing* an artifical timetable onto
disparate upstreams with different priorities. Free software is about
volunteers and volunteers simply cannot be forced into a pipeline or
constrained to an external timeline or deadline. If you *MUST* release
on an artificial timeline, you and all your users *MUST* accept that
each release will be buggy and that regressions and breakages are not
just likely but inevitable. The timeline constraint removes all methods
of preventing such problems or even predicting where those breakages
would occur.

Lenny is due for September 08 but if it isn't ready, it isn't ready -
end of story. Lenny will be released when it is ready and not before.
Ubuntu's Hardy will be released whether it is ready or not.

It's a matter of choice - the basis of free software.

I've made my choice [1] and I don't mind who uses Debian or Ubuntu as
long as the choice is an informed one.

Don't blame Ubuntu for breakages and regressions.
Don't blame Debian for long periods between releases.

All the other differences between Ubuntu and Debian stem from those
decisions.

[0]
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/serendipity/index.php?/archives/66-Debian-Lenny-on-amd64-HP-Pavilion-dv6000-dv6615ea.html
[1] http://people.debian.org/~codehelp/