Re: [LUG] OT Specs for distros - RECYCLING

Quoting Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Wednesday 12 March 2008 16:45, Steven Coté wrote:
> ..
>> I've got an old PII 400 kicking around that I really ought to get rid of.
>> So if they have a home for it, I'd like to give it to them.
> Microsoft has caused many a good man to follow the wrong path.
> While you would be certified if you tried to run XP Server on the above
> machine it will work very well as a file/print/db server for Linux :
> 1) You dont need to run a gui for a Linux server so thats 90% of your CPU
> saved.
> 2) Old machines are - perhaps nonintuitively - more reliable than modern ones
> - its taken a while for them to build in reliable self destruction into PC
> manufacture.
> 3) For file and print serving in linux it tends to be
> network/ram/disk io that
> limit the performance of a file/print server. And for most naive DB setups
> ditto.
> 4) It it does WOL then, as you can get a minimal linux to boot in a minute or
> two, even better - however this will negate point 2 above.

I find WOL a really useful feature.  I've started setting up WOL on
the PCs at work so if someone turns them off I can start them
remotely, plus we've also set a policy up so the machines turn
themselves off in the evening (due to the staff just leaving the damn
things running when they go home!)

> I have a feeling the machine would still make a useful internet
> access machine
> for someone who just wants e-mail and a bit of browsing but I'd be interested
> to see how LTSP works in action - demo anyone?

Well when we've sorted out the Exwick Community Centre you're welcome
to come down and have a look, plus Tom B, Paul Sutton and I are
looking at having a cyber tent at this year's Children's Week on
Paignton Green in August which will also be a good demonstration using
older machines.

Rob