Re: [LUG] Wanted please - OT Specs for distros

Steven Coté wrote:
>     I'll keep that in mind David, I currently have a garage full of K6/2
>     450's (and a couple of 500's I think) waiting to be taken over to Exeter
>     for the Exwick Community Centre LTSP project.
>

> The Exwick Community Centre LTSP Project, wazzat?

It's a project I'm involved in with a couple of guys from the LUG (Mark
Cross, Paul Sutton, Tom Brough, and Rick Timmis) where we're trying to
get a computer suite installed in the Exwick Community Centre using old
recycled machines which have kindly been donated by Mark Evans.  The
client machines are fairly old, around the K6/2 450 spec but they will
be running with a new server and monitors/keyboards/mice.

The server will be running some flavour of Ubuntu, I think either Ubuntu
or Edubuntu.

> I've only been on this list for a few weeks now and I haven't heard
> mention of it before. Googling only reveals a couple off-hand remarks on
> this list.

A lot has been going on in the background like working out what's
needed, getting funding from the Gemini FM Charitable Trust and
installing things (at the moment some of the cabling is installed whilst
we're awaiting for the funding to come through).

> I've got an old PII 400 kicking around that I really ought to get rid
> of. So if they have a home for it, I'd like to give it to them.

Well I'm sure we could make use of it somewhere.  I'm hoping that we
could also install a computer suite at another community centre in the
Gemini FM broadcast area, possibly around Torbay, Totnes or South Devon
area (so between Torbay and Exeter), basically because I've been told we
need to get the application for funding in before the end of March.

There's the added bonus of these community centres may let us use their
facilities (broadband, room etc) for LUG meetings so we have more
meeting places dotted around the area.

> And just to keep with the theme, it was running Fedora 7 quite happily
> with XFCE right up until the hard drive finally went.

Cool.  I'd be interested to see how KDE4 fares on an older machine now
it's system requirements have supposedly become leaner.

Rob