Re: [LUG] avoiding the evil empire

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Thursday 06 March 2008 10:11, Grant Sewell wrote:
>  > Cheers,
>>> Al.
>> Likewise, sortof.  I can't afford hosting so I host my own on my ADSL line.
>>  I don't allow pop or imap connections but I do have RoundCube webmail
>> running, which is very shiny with the OSXMail theme. :)
> Alas my BB comes down 7Km of wet string specially flavoured so sheep will eat
> it and I need something reliable on the outside as my memory isnt what it
> used to be. Though how would I know that???
> Tom te tom te tom
>> Grant.

there are various web hosting companies, I mention purplecloud because I
have several sites hosted with them and not because I think they're
exceptional - though they ain't bad, who will do you an e-mail account
for £4.99 pa. You can download the mail (pop3/smtp) or your can use
webmail provided by these companies using the horde app. It's the same
mail. If you buy www.gargle.co.uk at 4.99 (well there is 10 quid for the
domain every 2 years) you can either.  set up pop3.gargle.... or login
to mail:gargle.co.uk etc. This is good for me as I don't use webmail and
if I go away would have to tell people to use yahoo or whatever.

Simon
--
Simon Robert
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk