Re: [LUG] avoiding the evil empire

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:29:51 +0000
Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On the subject of spam I currently have 92 in my spambucket, some using
> the address I only use for this list.  Could it be a spider trawling the
> online archive for addresses?

If you check the archive, you will see that the archival process
(mhonarc), obfuscates all email addresses before writing any bytes.

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/archive/2008/03/msg00086.html

(domains are replaced with xxxxxx and links use DOMAIN.HIDDEN).

Only DCGLUG members can view your email details.

Spammers don't need to trawl archives with spiders - any email address
that has been used for any mailing list will eventually receive spam.
There's no need for DCGLUG to make that any easier so I use the email
obfuscation support in MHonArc but it can't stop any spam getting sent
to your list address.

--

Neil Williams