Re: [LUG] Home repositories

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 03:32:57PM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> I've love to setup something like this but at 17GB I just haven't got
> the space at the moment.  Might be something I'll look into for a future
> Ubuntu install day.

For the cost of a hard disk, post & packing + time and expenses I'll sell
you a copy of any and/or all of the copies I have. :)

(serious offer)

> Is it possible to start mirroring the repositories and then stop them
> and restart them?

Yup. I happen to run mine every day but there's no reason i couldn't run it
weekly, monthly or ad-hoc.

> What I'm thinking is that I get off-peak bandwidth of 300GB and only
> 45GB peak.  I don't really want to use a quarter of my peak bandwidth
> downloading a load of packages.  Either that or could it be setup to
> limit the download speed? (that way I could set something going on a box
> at work over a week running at a slower speed).

Yeah, you could limit the bandwidth it uses, and leave it running. It uses
wget, so you could set your bandwidth options in ~/.wgetrc as per the man
page. But if you run it overnight at home it's going to eat some of the
300GB not the 45G allocation surely?

Cheers,
Al.