Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Re: Contact Us Website Help]

On Friday 22 February 2008 11:34, james kilty wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 09:39 +0000, Tom Potts wrote:
> > Its NOT laziness & cost - its pig ignorance. If they knew what they were
> > doing then it would be browser/os agnostic. However they are probably M$
> > trained monkeys and no nuthing...
>
> Is this behind recent data loss - lack of trust of the system, lack of
> skill using it - can't use file transfer over the Internet because with
> MS it is less secure - or am I just being partisan here?
Its not really a partisan issue in the sense that everything has dumbed down
though I blame M$ for selling the idea that you can make a complex issue less
complex cos you have a GUI. We now have a couple of generations of 'Computer
Science Students' who have 3 years at college to learn something that really
takes a lot longer and they dont even look at the basics.
No offence to you young whippersnappers who have been thru this modern
approach as it can not be your fault but I do think a comment I heard about
the recent idea of dropping oral exams for for foreign languages sums it up:
'So rather than play football in the rain kids will be allowed to present a
paper on footballs rules to show they are as good as Beckham'.
Unfortunately I get the impression that most of the kids going through IT
aren't even taught the rules, but they can run the football game with a point
and click.
That in addition to the idea that a manager can manage something he doesn't
understand by applying certain management principles results in complete and
utter chaos.
Tom te tom te tom