Re: [LUG] eeepc filing

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:05:15 +0000, Simon Robert wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:56:35 +0000
>> John Hansen wrote:
>>
>>> I have fitted a 4Gb SD card to supplement the 2Gb main memory in my
>>> new eeePC. However I have not found how to save a file to either the
>>> SD card or to an USD memory stick.
>>> Do any of you perhaps know of a detailed instruction for these
>>> actions?
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Typically under Linux USB "pendrives" (and, more than likely, the SD
>> cards present here) will appear as SCSI drives, so would be /dev/sdXY
>> (where X is a letter and Y is a number - usually 1).
>> The first thing to check is if Linux has picked up the card/stick.
>> Inset said card/stick and wait a couple of seconds, then type the
>> following into the command line (if you can get to one):
>>   dmesg
>>
>> You should see lots of information, and at the bottom there should be
>> something about USB/SCSI mass storage and details of the /dev/sdXY
>> from above. If you do, then progress to see if Linux has automatically
>> "mounted" your card/stick. Again, the easiest way is from the command
>> line.  Type:
>>   cat /proc/mounts
>> and see what is mentioned about /dev/sdXY (from earlier).  Hopefully
>> you'll have something like:
>> /dev/sdc1 /mnt/media vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,blah,blah,blah
>>
>> The "/mnt/media" bit is where you would access the card/stick.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>> Grant.
>>
> on my one the SD is mounted automaticaly, well I get a screen asking me
> if I want to open it in a new file browser. What distro are you using.
> It does this with the orignal distro and eeeXubuntu.

What distro am I using?  It shouldn't matter.  I made the presumption that
your given distro would "automount" the card/pen for you, and the above
guidance is on how to find out where it has been mounted.

As it happens I do not have an EeePC.  I happen to run Ubuntu (at the
moment), but I am a serial distro switcher.  Pretty much Linux is Linux,
though.  If you're happy with what's happening under the hood, then what
does it matter if the hood is painted red or blue?

Grant.