Re: [LUG] no job control?

Kevin Lucas wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 02:06 +0000, Simon Robert wrote:
>>
>>> After checking the harddrive is OK, by pluging it in to No. 2 I have
>>> purchased a "barebones" PC form Novatech. Basicaly this is the works
>>> with no harddrive or DVD burner.
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure I've plugged it in OK. The DVD drive works and when I
>>> boot it I get the boot screen for PClinuxOS. It's after that it all goes
>>> pear shaped.
>>>

>> Umm, is this a harddrive pre-configured on a different machine and now
>> inserted into a machine with a different motherboard etc?
>>
>> Various configuration settings are hardware-specific not in terms of
>> architecture but in terms of the actual chipsets used on the board.
>> Packages installed and configured for one motherboard are unlikely to
>> work with a completely different board.
>>
>> Reinstall.
>>

> I have done several of these............    do you have SATA hard disks?
>        If so go to the Bios and set boot perams to boot on the SATA
> first then DVD/CD
>           Do the auto detect disks as normal (you just get CD/DVD)
>        reboot twice and all is OK?!!!
>
>              The bios on my Novotec machines does not boot SATA on default.
>
> --
> Regards: Kevin Lucas Post Master (Sub) Minions Shop & Tea Rooms Minions
> Liskeard Cornwall PL14 5LE www.minionsbandb.co.uk

I'll give it a go. If I take the harddrive off PC 1 and plug it into PC
2, don't even unscrew anything leads out the side etc, it boots fine. So
I have backed the whole disk.

Problem with re-installing is that its from a live disk and the live
disk doesn't get far enough to fall over.

Will try above, thanks

--
Simon Robert
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk