[LUG] no job control?

well my new PSU from novatech didn't solve the problem of my dead PC.
Not a complete waste of money as the PSU in No. 2 PC has been sounding
very dodgy and the new one is almost silent.

After checking the harddrive is OK, by pluging it in to No. 2 I have
purchased a "barebones" PC form Novatech. Basicaly this is the works
with no harddrive or DVD burner.

I'm pretty sure I've plugged it in OK. The DVD drive works and when I
boot it I get the boot screen for PClinuxOS. It's after that it all goes
pear shaped.

After the boot screen it goes into boot up mode and does nothing. If I
try from a live CD I get the following

"can't access tty; job control turned off"

this is preceeded with " no ide channels found, unable to mount livecd".

Please does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
   Simon
--
Simon Robert