Re: [LUG] FLOSS in schools redux.

martin.gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>>> No its not - the curriculum is NOT online
>>>
> Er. yes it is.
>
> http://www.curriculumonline.gov.uk
> http://www.nc.uk.net
>
> http://www.nc.uk.net/nc_resources/html/download.shtml as prettty much all
> the Programmes of Study but feel free to browse around for anything you
> have a specific interest in.
>
> The national Curriculum is defined in a set of Programmes of Study. From
> the Forward section of these documents: "This booklet: * sets out the
> legal requirements of the National Curriculum in England for <whatever>, *
> provides information to help teachers implement <whatever> in their
> schools."

> where

> SEN)
>
>>> This is the stuff that should really be available
>>>

> With an exposure to teaching practice, an understanding of the theory of
> Schemes of Work and Programmes of Study, and a familiarity of the
> resources available to teachers, I think you find pretty much all the
> information you need online.

> topics

>>> They should have a national curriculum so they don't have to.....
>>>
> The national curriculum is in itself flexible. Think about all the
> different types of school there are and the mixture of children in a class
> (race, sex, (dis)ability, age). How you teach the NC will differ widely,
> which is why schools/heads/teachers are empowered to build their own
> schemes of work tailored to the school/class/child. Take my daughter's
> class for example: it has 16 kids covering year groups from reception to
> yr2. There are a mixture of abilities in the class including SENs, one
> with a Statement. How can a teacher use a single, prescribed source to
> teach that range? The reality of teaching at the coal-face is actually
> quite a difficult job.
>
> If you read all the NC programmes of Study you'll find that one aspect
> government are pushing is the development of the individual child.
>
> Martin

So why can't school websites, provide a list of subjects for each year
group and a web link to an appropriate page on line, so parents know
what is coming up and can perhaps help out with resources,  etc,  or
keep an eye out for free stuff, ask around friends for related books,
videos etc,

parents can then enhance their childs learning,  by using these
resources,  rather than asking when the topic starts,  if people know in
advance, it makes it easier to keep an eye out and save resources.

It does seem however in some schools a 40 - 60 minute lesson is taken up
with for example either computers taking ages to get to a usable state,
not working or simply bad behavior delaying the start of lessons,  in
both cases the students learn nothing.

It now seems children of 22 months will be assessed if they can turn on
a tv and or computer.  Despite evidence that suggests both can harm a
child's development if in excess.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug