Re: [LUG] lug meeting in Paignton

Quoting Neil Stone <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Thu, February 7, 2008 00:41, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Following on from the FOSS in schools thread,  I am proposing we meet at
>> the usual place (shoreline cafe), in Paignton to discuss the initial
>> strategy.  as well as other stuff, we discuss at lug meets.  Mainly to
>> discuss moodle, and how to promote it in schools.
>>
>> I just wondered if people are available on that date,  Friday 15th Feb
>> 2006.  to meet up and chat,  and work out how we move forward,  There is
>> a working moodle set up that has been created by Jaan, which I am having
>> a look at right now.
>>
>> Please let me know so I can post an official notice, to say the meet is
>> on.
>>
>> Paul
>
> 15th might not be so good for some people with partners as it's the Friday
> after valentines...
>
> I will do my best to attend on whatever date is decided, I will see if
> this time I can actually get my bike there too..

Not to mention, we might not want to get ahead of ourselves on this.
Maybe it might be worth us actually speaking to someone at a school
first to see what sort of requirements they have.  This is something
I'm hoping to do over the next couple of days (I'm going to install
Moodle on a machine to lend to my colleague so his wife can have a
look and see if it actually does meet the needs).

In fact I think maybe a meeting in the IRC chat room or on the mailing
list might be more effective than meeting at the cafe (this is going
on last time where Paul had issues with the wireless so the majority
of the meeting was spent trying to get his wireless working! :-(

I keep telling my colleague about some of the benefits of FLOSS, like
the schools being able to give out copies of OpenOffice etc and how
FLOSS could potentially save the school lots of money on forced
upgrades to Vista/Office 2007 (of course this could possibly depend on
what the school has signed with Microsoft).

All being well, I'll be able to get our foot in the door with the
cost/reliability benefits and then explain the other benefits of Free
Software.

I also think once the Exwick Community Centre has their LTSP
installation setup, it would be great to be able to demonstrate a real
world LTSP setup actually running.

While I think about it, does anyone have any other ideas of community
centres who might be interested in an LTSP setup?

Rob