Re: [LUG] moodle problem

On Wed, February 6, 2008 19:54, Simon Waters wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>>
>> i am trying to set the permissions correctly. however there is no
>> nobody or apache group or user,  so setting chown to either fails.
>

>> how do I create the user, nobody or group nobody,  so i can add the
>> moodledirectory to that group, or whatever I need to do to fix it
>
> I'm assuming it need to be owned by the web server user, so that the web
> server process can update the files.
>
> In Debian this is user "www-data", group "www-data" unless you fiddled.
>
> In other distros try;
>
> ps -ef | grep apache
>
> or
>
> ps -ef | grep httpd
>
> I get this from the first command on my Debian Sid box, showing that
> Apache starts as root, and then launches its child tasks as user
> "www-data". So for me "www-data" is likely the correct user.
>
> root      2924     1  0 Jan25 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
> www-data 29623  2924  0 Feb03 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
> www-data 29625  2924  0 Feb03 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
> www-data 29626  2924  0 Feb03 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start

Yes it's a Debian box, I was about to suggest replacing the "apache" user
and group with www-data when I saw this email..

When one burns one's bridges, what a very nice fire it makes.
                -- Dylan Thomas

Disclaimer:

By sending an email to me addresses you are agreeing that:

1. I am "the intended recipient";

2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and make
such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it lends itself
to; in particular, I may quote it on usenet or publish it online;

3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company;

4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that may
be included on your message.