Re: [LUG] Packaging operating systems

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:09:59 +0000
Neil Williams wrote:

> I like the Mandriva USB key distro. It's been possible for a while but
> it just takes a little extra development to make it truly usable and
> elegant. Shame it still relies on BIOS access.

Although, it has to be said that a large portion of modern BIOSes seem
to be shipped with the ol' "Press F9 for a boot menu" option enabled,
so it should be a bit easier these days. :)

> I'm looking at something like that but this being Emdebian, it has to
> be smaller - a lot smaller. An SD card actually, say 64 or 128Mb,
> containing a complete Emdebian GUI filesystem and kernel (~50Mb
> unpacked) and space enough to unpack stuff and still retain user data.
> Plug it into your PDA, WindowsMobile is probably dumb enough to run
> any old scripting that is on the card and hey presto, Debian.
> ;-)
>
> (Emdebian already has a package set that can provide a full GUI
> installation with kernel in the space normally reserved for the
> smallest Debian network installer image. It isn't easy yet, but it's
> coming along
> - plus it doesn't need a network connection.)
>
> With the current price of such cards, it could almost be a
> "give-away". That would be good. GNU/Linux on a mini-SD card (or even
> microSD) - I mean those things can be 11mmx15mmx1mm or less than half
> an inch square by 1/25" thick in old money. It would need a plastic
> holder just to stop people losing it!
>
> I dare say it could run as a live-SD but I'm focusing on the 'hijack'
> method. With those mini-SD cards that some phones use (mine has
> 512Mb), it would be possible to do it with a phone too, once GpePhone
> is available.
> :-)

Ooh, this sounds like fun.  I have a 2GB card for my Sony Ericsson
K800i - any Debian projects on that? :D

> A while ago DCGLUG was looking at customised CD-Rs to give away but
> the printing costs were prohibitive. USB keys are cheaper but not
> that cheap and still need a BIOS change on most systems.

As above. :D

> SD cards can
> have larger capacity than a CDR (4Gb or more)

How about DVDR?

Grant.