Re: [LUG] Ubuntu print server

Simon Waters wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
>> On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 21:02 +0000, aaron Moore wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> Clients are windows xp and debian.  They see the printer but it won't print.
>>> Ubuntu won't let me administer cups through localhost 631, and the printer
>>> dialog has no option for listening (I don't think)
>>> Thanks
>>> Aaron
>> The machine connected to the printer needs to be running the CUPS
>> daemon.
>
> I believe CUPS web interface is disabled by default on Ubuntu. (Where as
> Debian just went for listening on 127.0.0.1, either way the default
> config is probably both more secure, and (alas) less useful than expected).
>
> As Tom (the Younger) suggests - the answer probably lies in
> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>
> But if the Debian clients knows to play with the CUPS servers, then the
> printers should magically appear on each client as they are added to the
> print server. Not sure how Windows clients play in such a setup - they
> might need to be told the name of the printer - but I'd worry about that
> after the Debian/Ubuntu stuff is all working as expected.
>
>  Simon

what model is the printer? If it's HP or Brother, particularly Brother,
there are probably drivers available. HP is supported by open source
projects, Brother has (as far as I can see) a comprehensive set of
drivers on its website for pretty much all their products.

--
Simon Robert
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk