Re: [LUG] Ubuntu print server

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 21:02 +0000, aaron Moore wrote:
>> Hi
>> Clients are windows xp and debian.  They see the printer but it won't print.
>> Ubuntu won't let me administer cups through localhost 631, and the printer dialog
>> has no option for listening (I don't think)
>> Thanks
>> Aaron
>
> The machine connected to the printer needs to be running the CUPS
> daemon.

I believe CUPS web interface is disabled by default on Ubuntu. (Where as
Debian just went for listening on 127.0.0.1, either way the default
config is probably both more secure, and (alas) less useful than expected).

As Tom (the Younger) suggests - the answer probably lies in
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

But if the Debian clients knows to play with the CUPS servers, then the
printers should magically appear on each client as they are added to the
print server. Not sure how Windows clients play in such a setup - they
might need to be told the name of the printer - but I'd worry about that
after the Debian/Ubuntu stuff is all working as expected.

 Simon