> Charlie BT wrote:
>
>> I am on Microsoft's side with one,
>>
> I'm not :)
>
>>  as usual damned if they do
>>
> something stupid.
>
>>  and damned if
>> they don't.
>>

> Actually not.. but it's been a while.
>
>> I worked in a technical support call centre were I was reminded daily how
>> silly people can be either through ignorance or stupidity.
>>
> Ditto. 6.5 years.. 5 as a senior.  If you go out of your way to make
> things complicated, as Microsoft has, you can expect a few brickbats,
> and deservedly so IMHO.  Where I worked we tried to ensure that what we
> supplied and supported (where we had any say in the design) was as
> idiot-proof as possible.  I'm sure you'd agree it's not in a company's
> interests to supply an overly complicated product.  Someone from tech
> support will be only too happy to hang you due to the increase in call
> volumes created by 'how the hell do I open this box??' which is totally
> avoidable and unnecessary.
>
>> Society is demanding the suppliers tell us how to do everything otherwise its the
>> supplier is to blame, a prime example:
>>
>> Lady on phone, my internet connection is not working
>> advisor, can you tell me what the lights on the little device we sent you
>> are doing?
>> Lady, I don't know I have not taken it out of the box yet
>>
> That's just an example of dredging the gene pool for idiots - we all
> know examples of that.  I recall one who was told to right-click on the
> mouse, and he did - with a PEN.. write 'click' that is.  What I'm saying
> is that *knowing* people are out there like that, designing packaging
> that needs instructions on how to open it is gross stupidity, and
> creating problems needlessly.  It just proves to me that the box was
> designed by someone who has never come within a country mile of a user.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

its a laugh, when a penknfe is supplied like this, and you need a tool
to open it,  which can ironically be found on the bought tool, which you
bought for just such situations. so you need to find something to open it.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug