Charlie BT wrote:
> I am on Microsoft's side with one,
I'm not :)
>  as usual damned if they do
something stupid.
>  and damned if
> they don't.

Actually not.. but it's been a while.
> I worked in a technical support call centre were I was reminded daily how
> silly people can be either through ignorance or stupidity.
Ditto. 6.5 years.. 5 as a senior.  If you go out of your way to make
things complicated, as Microsoft has, you can expect a few brickbats,
and deservedly so IMHO.  Where I worked we tried to ensure that what we
supplied and supported (where we had any say in the design) was as
idiot-proof as possible.  I'm sure you'd agree it's not in a company's
interests to supply an overly complicated product.  Someone from tech
support will be only too happy to hang you due to the increase in call
volumes created by 'how the hell do I open this box??' which is totally
avoidable and unnecessary.
> Society is demanding the suppliers tell us how to do everything otherwise its the
> supplier is to blame, a prime example:
>
> Lady on phone, my internet connection is not working
> advisor, can you tell me what the lights on the little device we sent you
> are doing?
> Lady, I don't know I have not taken it out of the box yet
That's just an example of dredging the gene pool for idiots - we all
know examples of that.  I recall one who was told to right-click on the
mouse, and he did - with a PEN.. write 'click' that is.  What I'm saying
is that *knowing* people are out there like that, designing packaging
that needs instructions on how to open it is gross stupidity, and
creating problems needlessly.  It just proves to me that the box was
designed by someone who has never come within a country mile of a user.

Kind regards,

Julian