[LUG] sox woes

I've been recording stuff and creating .wav files and I thought it might
be a good idea to compress them. There may be lots of ways of doing this
but the only one I know of is sox and sox won't recognize the format. This
seems to be a bug in v14.0.0 that people have complained of since November.
I've got 64Studio so I tried there and sox (v12.17.9) works ok and I was
able to create ogg vorbis versions.

sox will read mp3 if you install libmad but it can't write mp3, is that
right? Is there some software that will, short of moving the file into
Windows?

Tony