Re: [LUG] sox woes

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:33:47 +0000
Tony Sumner wrote:

> I've been recording stuff and creating .wav files and I thought it
> might be a good idea to compress them. There may be lots of ways of
> doing this but the only one I know of is sox and sox won't recognize
> the format. This seems to be a bug in v14.0.0 that people have
> complained of since November. I've got 64Studio so I tried there and
> sox (v12.17.9) works ok and I was able to create ogg vorbis versions.
>
> sox will read mp3 if you install libmad but it can't write mp3, is
> that right? Is there some software that will, short of moving the
> file into Windows?
>
> Tony

on Ubuntu 7.10:
gsewell@desktop:~$ apt-cache search mp3 library| wc -l
     88
gsewell@desktop:~$ apt-cache search mp3 encoder| wc -l
     30

There's more than enough there to be looking at. :D

I haven't got much experience of creating mp3 files with anything other
than lame, which just so happens to be in that list anyway. :D

64Studio is a Debian based system, so you can always add Debian and/or
Ubuntu repositories to your /etc/apt/sources.list file (as detailed in
http://64studio.com/faq_user) to get access to other software not
directly provided by 64Studio... be aware that you might want to read
around on the topic to make non-64Studio repositories "less favourable"
so that if a package is provided by 64Studio, *that* one gets installed
in preference to Debian/Ubuntu's (or whatever).

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Grant.