Re: [LUG] Learning Perl as a non-programmer

On Jan 23, 2008 5:45 PM, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> I think it's worth finding a good introduction to programming as well,
> even if it uses something like BASIC or Pascal.

I second that. I think there are very few people who learn Perl as
their first programming language; hence most introductions to Perl
only briefly discuss things like 'functions' and 'variables', which
are very essential for programming.

PHP might not be a bad idea to start with either, given that its
syntax is vaguely similar to that of Perl. Also, it's easy to write
something in PHP that does something more meaningful than printing
"Hello world!" on the screen.

Martijn.