Re: [LUG] Linux in Schools/Colleges/Unis - was: Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

Rob Beard wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
>
>>> I have difficulty trying to get away from the big M at university, for
>>> example I got told for one of my assignments I had to call my ER
>>> diagram "er.doc".
>> I usually submit my stuff in both their preferred format and in my
>> preferred format, zipped up with a readme.txt file explaining why I
>> have done what I have done.  It has annoyed some people but others have
>> commented that they were completely unaware of the other options
>> available to them.
>>

> A colleague of mine was e-mailed a .docx file yesterday.  I managed to
> open it after downloading a 27MB update for Office XP (which in turn
> needed another couple of megs of Windows updates!!!).  I did tell him
> though to ask the sender to either next time send the document in Word
> 97 format, install PDF Creator (which is GPL) or install and use OpenOffice!
>
>> <gripe>
>> I have run into a bit of a pickle myself recently... one of the topics
>> I teach has something along the lines of "install and configure a linux
>> machine" as part of the "indicative content" of the course.  It is not
>> actually an assessment objective, so it doesn't have to be tested, but
>> it does have to be taught.  All the machines easily available for them
>> to work on have WinXP on them, as mandated by the IT Services dept, and
>> installing a dual-boot would be a serious no-no, so they have to go
>> down the route of virtualisation, which although it is a useful tool it
>> doesn't really give fully native-install experience.
>> </gripe>
>>

> Sounds like you could do with some older machines to use as Linux boxes.
>   When I worked at Exeter College (ooh, going back 10 years now!) they
> had a room full of old computers (386's) which the IT course trainee's
> used to learn technical hardware skills on.  It didn't matter if the
> machines were trashed as they were being replaced with fancy new Pentium
> 100's (I remember them well, running Windows 95 and Office 95).
>
> Sounds like that's what the IT Services dept should do for the topics
> you teach, maybe provide a few older P3/P4 machines (surely they're
> replacing some of the older ones with new machines?).  They'd be fine
> for teaching about Linux on real hardware and if they get trashed what
> does it matter?
>
> Rob

I wonder whether there is any milage in writing to Jim Knight the
Minister for Schools to ask why Schools are obliged to use MS
Windows/Office rather than Linux and Open Office.

John