Re: [LUG] Backup strategy

Hi Julian

On 09/01/2008, Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I am currently working with a Buffalo Terastation and a Buffalo
> > HD-HCU2 Drive station as backup. The backup constantly fails and all I
> > can find is the length of time it takes to back the files up.
> >
> > The reason it takes so long is the files are huge. We're talking cad
> > plans of over 25mb and about 6 workers creating these plans maybe once
> > a day. So we're maybe talking over 100mb created daily to be backed
> > up. The other problem with the backup is that it is on a Linux
> > formatted hard drive. So not easy to restore things.
> >
> > So basically, I need a backup solution that will work in tandem with
> > the Terastation and be backing up constantly throughout the day. The
> > owner of the business wants to be taking the backup home daily. He
> > also needs to restore files quickly - so access from a windows box
> > (that's all they have got).
> >
> You may find this solution of interest (and less hassle than building a
> PC).  I recently invested in an Edimax router.  Before I say anything
> else I neither work for them nor have any interest in the company other
> than as a consumer.
>
> However, the model I bought (BR-6215SRg) has two USB ports as well as 4
> LAN ports and wireless for approx £41 inc VAT and dely from scan.co.uk.
> The router runs on Linux (not sure what distro) and can take either two
> external USB HDs, two printers or one of each.  Rather than expend time
> and money building a PC for backup you could spend less on one of these,
> a couple of HDs in caddies and be able to back up all your machines over
> the network.  Oh yes and it will format HDs to FAT32, ext2 and ext3.
> Does not do NTFS although on reflection that's likely to be the Linux
> version it's running.
>
> The bonus is that of course it will consume less power and eat less of
> your electricity bill than a whole PC.  Plus if the boss wants to take
> it home he just unplugs the caddy from the router.  Job done.

This is an interesting solution. The only problem I see with it is
that we are still relying on the Buffalo server to do the backing up.
Or can this device be asked to do a backup. Is it possible to ask it
to pull files from the server and put them into the caddy please? Even
better can it do it incrementally?

Thanks.
--
Kind regards