Re: [LUG] USB stick distros/images

Simon Waters wrote:
> Finally got a USB stick big enough for more than just an installer.
>
> Anyone recommend a bootable USB image, that is suitable for rescuing
> systems? Or other cool stuff to do with it.
>
> Up till now the Ubuntu LiveCDs have been my recovery tool of choice,
> although I have also got the GNU parted live CD and a few other similar
> tools around.
>
> I'm thinking good support for server hardware (something that can rescue
> my own home desktop if needed would be cool) - support for lots of
> filesystems (even weird stuff like NTFS!) - support for typical server
> software configs (LVM, Mirroring etc).
>
> I know there are some Debian images around, and I can install my own,
> and build a custom kernel - but I bet someone has already done a better
> job than I can do.
>
> Or should I just admit CDs are better and put some rescue CDs in the
> glove box of the car like a true geek ;)
>
>  Simon

Not having looked into this much, for started I'd say the System Rescue
CD (which has a USB installation option so it can run from a USB pen
drive) or maybe a slim down version of Debian or Ubuntu Live CD copied
on to a USB pen drive.

I think one of the things you'd need to really do with is something that
won't write to the pen drive much as IIRC like most if not all Flash
memory devices, they can only be written to a thousand or so times
before they start to get bad blocks.  A read-only filesystem would help
in that respect as temporary storage could be held in a ram disk and any
config files could be maybe kept on the pen drive?

Out of interest, how big is the USB stick?

Rob