Re: [LUG] Copying partitions to new (larger) HDD

Anthony Williams wrote:
> Quoting Neil Stone <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> you can use dd and gparted to work the magic... I recall seeing a linux
>> "rescue" disk around on the internet, but I can't recall exactly where..
>> it had things like, fdisk, dd and gparted on it..
>
> System Rescue CD?
>
> http://www.sysresccd.org/
>
> I've used this quite a lot in the past. Unfortunately, the latest
> version uses a full-blown version of X, and doesn't like my laptop.
> (I'm not sure whether it's the ATI card or the 1440x900 resolution ---
> kubuntu works fine).
>
> Anthony

Thats the one I use, I thought the latest version boots into a console
by default?

(or maybe I haven't got the latest version?).

The Seagate and Maxtor programs I was thinking of are Seagate DiscWizard
which is here:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

or Maxtor MaxBlast 5 which is here:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=MaxBlast_5&vgnextoid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

You do need a Seagate drive for DiscWizard or a Maxtor drive for
MaxBlast, IIRC it just has to be attached to the machine for it to work
and can probably be removed afterwards (although I can't confirm this,
it may just let you image from one drive to a Seagate or Maxtor drive).
  It also looks like it needs either Windows XP or access to a Windows
XP/2003 Server machine with a Windows XP/Server 2003 installation CD
which is used to create a bootable CD (it uses BartPE).

HTH

Rob