Re: [LUG] Copying partitions to new (larger) HDD

Simon Williams wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>> I'd boot off a Live CD (Knoppix, Ubuntu etc) and then partition your new
>> drive how you want it.  Then mount the old partitions and the new
>> partitions and copy everything over as Neil suggested.
>
> I would just be using cp -a: that's what I used when I changed laptop,
> but that required a reinstall of windows anyway. I'm trying to do it
> without disturbing winxp. I'm not really expecting cp -a to work here,
> though I could be wrong. Perhaps the main reason for this is that NTFS
> write support is very new and hasn't implemented all the special
> functions yet. I really would rather use dd. I'm surprised no-one has
> written a tool to do this easily.
>
>> You'd also have to install a boot loader (Grub for instance) which might
>> be just a case of running grub-install hd0 and updating your fstab (if
>> it uses UID's or volume labels instead of just plain hold /dev/sda1, 2,
>> 3 etc...).
>
> Reinstalling the bootloader is expected and not a problem.
>
>> Make sure you copy and not move too, that way if things screw up you can
>> drive /dev/sdb or /dev/hdb?)
>
> Of course (but thanks anyway- I have been known to do very stupid things).

Hmm, not sure is PartImage which is on the System Rescue CD would
transfer over the XP partition correctly.

What make are the drives?  I believe that Maxtor and Seagate provide
some sort of software (free as in beer) to do that sort of thing, if at
least one of the drives is Seagate or Maxtor it may just work.  IIRC
it's a bit like Ghost, although I haven't used it extensively so it
could turn out just to be a partitioning tool.

Rob